“Our Lady Star Of The Sea”
OPENING OF A NEW CHURCH AT HAMPDEN.
The new Catholic Church at Hampden was opened last “Sunday, there being present a large congregation, including many from other denominations. The weather was everything that could be desired. The Rev. Father O’Donnell (Gore), representing Bishop Moran, dedicated the church under the title Our Lady Star of the Sea. He also sang a missa cantata, and preached the dedication sermon. His discourse, which was learned, brilliant, and well delivered, gave a history of the first structure used for divine worship; of the structures used during the 300 years of the Church of Christ; of the universal adoption by Christians of suitable places wherein to worship God and practise the rights of their holy religion, and of the custom of dedicating churches to God under the patronage of some saint. There was sweet and harmonious music, both vocal and instrumental, during the sacred ceremonies. Miss Fagan (Oamaru) presided at the organ and Mr Kameshed (Oamaru) performed on the violin The chief vocalists were : Mrs Lynch. Miss Jenny Fagan, Mr Towsey, and Mr Kameshed (all of Oamaru). It was admitted that the performers one and all, surpassed themselves on this occasion’ Mrs Lynch s solo during the credo, which was accurately rendered, was the embodiment of pathos and devotion. Father O’Donnell rector of the mission, in very laudatory terms thanked his friend Father O’Donnell (of Gore), the choir, and his congregation for their co-operation and the assistance rendered by one and all The Rev. Mr Blathwayt (Anglican), Hampden, kindly lent for the occasion the organ belonging to his own house. Otago Daily Times, 01 May 1894.
Thomas Gdanietz who arrived in NZ aboard the “Reichstag” in 1874, aided in it’s building and fitting.